Friday, January 8, 2010

Song #38: Brendan Maclean - "Beat Me To It"



I'm happy to count myself not only as a fan of Mr. Brendan Maclean, but also as a friend. He recently sent me his new EP, entitled White Canvas. I'm happy to report on its excellence - the title track is possibly my favourite thing he has ever done. This track in particular, however, has struck a chord with me. And we're talking major, none of that minor-seventh shit.

The song is a tender piano ballad on the topic of loneliness and isolation. That might sound generic as hell, but it's Maclean's personality and his way around slender baritone melodies that accentuate this song's features above everything else. With only hints of jazz-brush drumming to accompany his voice and piano playing, it's considerably stripped-back, and works wonders as a result of it. It is also the sign of a great songwriter when the lyrics come across as exceedingly personal, yet you feel as if it's instantly a cinch to relate yourself to. Brendan is on to something here, I just know it.

FINAL RATING (/10): 9

If you're in the Wollongong area, I'll be playing drums and guitar for Mr. Maclean on the 13th at the Oxford Tavern. If you're in Sydney, you can catch Brendan's EP launch at Cronulla's Brass Monkey on the 22nd.

xoxoxoxo
David

No comments:

Post a Comment