Monday, January 11, 2010

Song #42: Social Studies - "Weathered White"


 
Right now, we're getting back into the very essence of why I started this project - this is Spinner's free MP3 of the day. I have no idea who this band is. And I find that really exciting - the prospect of experiencing something I've previously never done is something I'm not taking for granted, especially in light of this blog.

But onto the song itself. Two words: How lovely! I've latched myself onto an irrepressibly cute little band, with a very sweet lead vocalist and some very charming keys. Coming across as a Stateside take on what Camera Obscura do (with hints of Regina Spektor and Mates of State), it's the kind of song that you gradually get to know and appreciate over several in-depth listens. I like the drums in the verses, especially how they sound - the snare sound is quick and tiny, the floor tom sounding cavernous. Maybe it's just because I'm a drummer myself that I pick these kind of things up, but what would I know?

The point is this: Weathered White is a gem. I'm so glad I tripped upon it.

FINAL RATING (/10): 8.5

Like what I've described? Get it now, why doncha.

xoxoxoxo
David

No comments:

Post a Comment