Sunday, January 17, 2010

Song #46: Emarosa - "The Past Should Stay Dead"



Normally, I can't rely on my younger brother for very much. But this is the second time he has come to my rescue in terms of showing me some music that I've previously never heard. Much unlike Talk Talk, however, this is much more up his alley of new-wave post-hardcore. I definitely can't get into a lot of it (I'm getting too old for this shit), but let me tell you something for nothing: Emarosa blew me away within a matter of seconds.



I think this was, in no small part, thanks to vocalist Jonny Craig, formerly of Dance Gavin Dance. Regardless of your ever-so-worthy opinion on the genre, this dude has one hell of a voice. There is so much passion and grit in his delivery, particularly when it reaches the higher levels of his range - a cross between the Emery boys and Anthony Green. It's rare to come across such a remarkable voice, so it's worth listening to this track on the back of this alone. Instrumentally, Craig is supported strongly by very intricate drumming and wailing chord progressions with a smartly-arranged lick thrown in every now and then to shake things up. It's an intense, unpredictable and genuinely exciting work that is a rarity in its field these days.

FINAL RATING (/10): 9

Absolutely wonderful.

The band have a new album on the way in 2010, and will be playing Soundwave this coming February. Get excited.

xxxx
TAINTED SHEEEEEE-David

No comments:

Post a Comment