Sunday, January 17, 2010

Song #49: Operator Please - "Logic"



Everyone is always very quick to bash on Operator Please. Most were annoyed with their runaway hit Just a Song About Ping-Pong, and their age (all under 21 at the time) was easy to make fun of (early silverchair, anyone?). I personally like to think that it was just how upbeat and boisterous the band were - both on CD and live - that peeved people. Add in some smart-arse lyrics ("Just out of curiousity/Can you tell me how old I'm supposed to be?"), and you're sure to have a band that can get on people's nerves.

I'll always love them, though - not just because I count Amandah Wilkinson (vocals/guitar) as a mate. They represent freedom, apathy towards negativity, making music for the love of music - they're a fuckload more real than you'd think. With this, I've just sampled their new single from their forthcoming second album, entitled Logic, and I really like it.

If you follow Amandah on Twitter (@operator_please), you'd know how much she loves a bit of Prince. I can definitely hear that love in the slinking bass and funked-out groove that welcomes the listener into the song. It's only fleeting, though - this isn't going to turn into Let's Go Crazy anytime soon. What I enjoy the most about Logic is that it sees the band faced with a pretty serious musical question - "So, what next?" - and taking it on with substantial confidence. There's a lot going on here, but above all it's still distinguishably an Operator Please song: fun, dancey and clever.

FINAL RATING (/10): 8.5

Head over to their MySpaz and suss that shit, baby.

x
David Please

P.S: HALFWAY MARK TOMORROW! YIPPEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment