Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Song #1: Motion City Soundtrack - "Her Words Destroyed My Planet"

 

Motion City Soundtrack were one of my favourite bands from the middle of my teenage years. They were one of those pop-punk bands that so many people my age (fifteen or so) absolutely adored for their catchy hooks and their way with words - songs like Everything is Alright and Hold Me Down epitomized just what was going through my head around that age.

I never grew out of them. I saw them live in 2008 and they were wonderful; even if I didn't connect with the album they were touring on the back of - Even if It Kills Me - as much as I did Commit This To Memory.
If their new track is anything to go by, however, I think I'm about to fall completely in love with them all over again.



Her Words Destroyed My Planet is the second track to be lifted as a preview of their upcoming fourth album, My Dinosaur Life. This is a very interesting song in the respect that, in spite of distancing itself from the band's light and airy side, it still has that same addictive kick that keeps you wanting to listen to them. It starts off with heavier-toned guitar and a delivery in the style of early Weezer or Alkaline Trio, before bowling over listeners with their catch-cry ironically joyous chorus. It's great to see vocalist Justin Pierre trying different things with his vocal delivery as well, not just relying on his upper-nasal wail that appears in more or less every MCS song.

FINAL RATING (/10): 9
 
This is the exact kind of song that I listen to, and then immediately want to listen to again seconds after it's finished. What a fantastic way to kick off my challenge.

If you'd like to hear the song, head over to Spin Online and stream it for yourself. It's also available right now on iTunes.

If you're in Australia and would like to see them, then catch them at Soundwave 2010, or their two Sidewaves supporting the recently-reformed Sunny Day Real Estate. Booya!

XX
David

No comments:

Post a Comment