Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Song #23: Talk Talk - "Such a Shame"



My little brother to the fucking rescue! Just when I thought that I couldn't find a song that I'd never listened to, he intervened with a bizarre premise. He'd just downloaded a four-disc compilation of eighties hits (spawned by his obsession with A-Ha's Take On Me) entitled Electric Dreams (yes, as in "Together In"). It was our mission to then pick the first song  from the compilation that I'd not yet heard. Surprisingly, we managed to venture all the way to Disc 1, Track 2...



Prior to this,my experience with Talk Talk was limited to No Doubt's cover of their single It's My Life (from the album of the same name). Apparently their early work was very pioneering for the synthpop genre, with their later material serving as influence for early post-rock. Bizarre. Whatever the case, it's not difficult to see why this track was a hit back in 1984 - this has "eighties pop" written all over it. The synths buzz and weave their way across, above, below and beyond, establishing a completely engaging environment for the pounding rhythms and the powerful vocals. If you're into the sound established in the vein of Depeche Mode and the Pet Shop Boys, there's plenty to like here. Guilty pleasure? As charged.

FINAL RATING (/10): 8.5

I really did not expect to like this as much as I do, but holy mother of HELL if the rest of their stuff is as awesome, then I'm so there.

I'm now off to listen to Africa by Toto, which is also on the compilation. Apparently, my dear sweet girlfriend has never heard it. Oh the awesome to be experienced...so little time...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daverddd

No comments:

Post a Comment