Friday, December 25, 2009

Song #26: Vic Chesnutt - "Flirted With You All My Life"



The death of Vic Chesnutt was recently reported, at only the age of 45. I have been reading through a mourning blogosphere, detailing how beautiful and emotional this man's music was, is and forever shall be. Don't I feel like a fool for never before experiencing it.

Better late than never. Flirted With You - from his 2009 album, At the Cut - not only shows where vocalists like Daniel Rossen of Grizzly Bear and The Decemberists' Colin Meloy got their influences from, but is also a display into a brilliant songwriter. The finger-picking is quaint and well-arranged, the hi-hats sustain an open-road rhythm and the electric guitar paired with the organ is just a gorgeous touch. It's the lyrics here, in particular, that now seem the most eerie. "O death, really, I'm not ready", he howls in the song's sweeping chorus. It's conveyed in a tone that's fearful and uncertain, but now feels more timely and frightening than ever.

FINAL RATING (/10): 10

And, no - it's not because Chesnutt has just died. This is perfect, fragile and irrefutably beautiful music that has sent me into an emotional wreck. I'm off to spend the rest of my Boxing Day in search of all this man's work.

x
David

1 comment: