Monday, December 21, 2009

Song #21: Miami Horror - "Sometimes"



I've been hearing the name Miami Horror a lot lately. Good PR? Whatever it was, the most I'd heard of them previously was walking past a tent at Splendour in the Grass earlier this year and someone on stage thanking the crowd - "Thanks, we're Miami Horror". The psuedo-cool name intrigued me, but more important things were at hand - trust me, once you've had a Byron Bay organic donut, you will know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I finally got around to hearing this artist late night on Channel [V], with a bizarre video to accompany it. This is synth/electropop straight out of the Van She/Cut Copy 80s-worshipping mold. Actually, this does remind me a fair bit of early Van She - I found their first EP to be patchy and pretty annoying, but I could see the potential to make something great (which they did with their formidable V album). In the same respect, the song's overt cheesiness is hard to grate away, in addition to how uninspired the bulk of it sounds. There's salvation to be found, however, in the form of the chorus and the Depeche Mode-esque guitar sounding off in the distance of the track. The kids are going to eat this up, but I'm still convinced there's got to be something better in the works.


FINAL RATING (/10): 6

Miami Horror are playing the Big Day Out and also opening for Lily Allen at her sideshows.
Here's the vid for the song, if you were interested:



xx
David

No comments:

Post a Comment