Monday, December 7, 2009

Song #7: Joe Brown - "Long Gone"



So there I was, watching late night television with my girlfriend, worrying about how I hadn't yet heard a song that I'd never heard before that day. Thankfully, we were tuned into Later... With Jools Holland, who always has an array of brilliant guests on his show. Tonight was no exception, with Mr. Joe Brown taking to the stage (or, at least, the corner of it) with about four other guys to perform a song called Long Gone.

I'm going to be perfectly honest - maybe it was half-past-midnight talking, but this song hit me as a stroke of brilliance. It's bluegrass music in its truest form, played with precise skill and stunning five-part harmonies. The song's a simple my-woman-done-me-wrong number, but it's all done so effectively that you're just in awe of the skill all five of these musicians have.

Interestingly enough, I'd never heard of Joe Brown before this performance, either. Apparently, the guy's an MBE, was the best man at George Harrison's wedding and has worked in music, film and radio. All over a 51-year career! Fuck me, I've got some work to do.


FINAL RATING (/10): 9

This was a real treat to listen to. If you'd like to experience it the way I did, have a look-see on YouTube.

XX
David

No comments:

Post a Comment