Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Song #15: Darkstar - "Aidy's Girl's a Computer"



In today's effort to check out some music I'd never listened to before, I sussed out the first half of Pitchfork's Top 100 Tracks of 2009. In typical Pitchfork style, I'd heard maybe one out of every ten songs listed. What a great opportunity, I thought! So I decided then and there to start at the very beginning (which, if I remember my Julie Andrews, is a very good place to start).




Track #100 on their list was a very upbeat dubstep number entitled Aidy's Girl's a Computer (yeah, I thought it was a touch creepy, too); by a producer known as Darkstar, one of the recent signings to the very popular Hyperdub label in the UK. The song itself is glitchy and somewhat of a Crystal Castles-meets-Burial pastiche. Its next-level experimentation and surprisingly addictive melody - which features 8-bit and xylophone, together at last! - will at first polarise and confuse you as a listener. You can take either of two routes from here - try and forget Aidy's Girl never happened, or throw yourself into another overwhelming listen. Hopefully, you'll make the right choice.


FINAL RATING (/10): 8

Maybe if I'd gotten to it a little earlier in the year, it might have made my top 100? Who knows.

Enjoy the track through the joys of YouTube below:



The rest of Pitchfork's end-of-year lists are out over the course of this working week, for those of you playing at home. Will be interesting to see what takes out the top spots!

xx
David

No comments:

Post a Comment