Thursday, December 10, 2009

Song #11: The Phenomenal Handclap Band - "All of the Above"



I think the 100 Days thing has really gotten me onto trying new things and being a little more daring with my time. As an example, today I'm going to be interviewing a guy from a band I don't really know that well. His name is Daniel Collás, who is one half of the creative force behind The Phenomenal Handclap Band, fresh outta New York City. If the name is not familiar, perhaps the chorus "5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40..." is? Yep, THAT song. Fun fact: a girl I went to school with is in the Bonds Underwear ad that features 15 to 20 as its background music.



So what else do they have to offer? Surprisingly, a lot more than you'd think. This track in particular is a bizarre funk pastiche, with a McCartney-esque falsetto, spacetrip organ, whirring electric guitar and fucking BONGOS. If that doesn't make a song win, what does? Maybe a friggin' harmonica solo? Yes, Phenomenal Handclap Band, that WILL do nicely. This is a five and a half minute orbit through space and time, and you don't normally get to say stuff like that for music from 2009 (usually, it's 1976!).

FINAL RATING (/10): 9

This is great. I'm glad I took the risk to say I'd interview them, this is going to be really interesting.

If you're interested in catching them live, they'll be here for Pyramid Rock in a couple of weeks, in addition to doing some shows with Chairlift in Sydney and Melbourne. Get amongst it.

XX
David

No comments:

Post a Comment